November 17, 2011

Creme De La Ultra:: Never In Your Life feat. Amir Sulaiman

Never in Your Life Feat. Amir Sulaiman by Creme De La Ultra

A Glimpse into the world of the Artist...

Remember the game "telephone" back in grade school?  The evolution of this song reminds me of a grown-ass version.  Since the guys are usually shy about the artistic process, and I'm often lucky to be a fly (sometimes virtual) on the wall, I thought I'd share the birth of "Never In Your Life."

Artists tend to live out load.  The last time Amir Sulaiman was in the studio he was suffering some heartbreak.  They had a musician friend (who will go unnamed) joining them and soon the conversation between all of them turned to loves lost and the damage done. Anas & friend became inspired and came up with all the music for this song, while Amir found shelter in the other room to reveal the chorus.

Days later, Azeem hits the studio and  . . .

"We made the original CDLU album in 6 days…. This track was one out of 15 that was given to me to chisel out. First, I was happy to do a track featuring Amir because I had been following his work for a while. And I liked the Dub Reggae vibe of the bass. The track instantly placed me in the tropics…some jungle somewhere where fruits grew abundantly, snakes didn’t bite and the women all like exotic flowers “adorned with galaxies, and saturated with the softness of manners…”   If you could only see the picture in my mind!   This song was done IN ONE TAKE. If you listen carefully, you can hear where after the first verse, it's mostly stream of conscious imagery popping up in my head. A poetic freestyle. This was easy because of the pace of the delivery.  My first instinct was to rap in double or triple time on it but. . . . (LOL)"  When I originally told Anas I didn’t know what to do yet on the track, he shrugged and said, “Just talk some smooth sh%* on it.”  I wrote a few lines down and said, “Lets go.”    -Azeem (aka Mark Ultra)
Since I'm cc'd on all RC's emails, I spy that after Azeem's tracks were laid down, Anas mixed it and sent the song once more to Amir.  "Bro, how'd we do?" Amir's was once again inspired and sent a verse as a reply. Anas then once again went back and amend the song to include Amir's sultry addition. There rest is as they say, "History."  There seems to be a interesting Twitter volley between the guys #neverinyourlife. You are welcome to follow them there creme de la ultra.
              -Until next time, TraLove


All music by Anas Canon & a Special Guest
Lyrics by Amir Sulaiman & Azeem
Vocals by Azeem, Amir, & Anas
Produced, arranged, recorded, and mixed by Anas Canon for Remarkable Current
©2011 Remarkable Current.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment