November 22, 2011

'Hidden Treasure' from Majnun's Lost Memoirs by Baraka Blue.

Hidden Treasure (Produced by Anas Canon for Remarkable Current) by Baraka Blue

What do you get when you mix some bossa nova flavor, an urban griot, an electric guitar, a flautist, a warm Los Angeles night and the secret ingredient? You get a mighty recipe. You get the "Hidden Treasure," the first single off of Baraka Blue's new album Majnun's Lost Memoirs.
"I was inspired to write this piece after reading a book called "The Knowing Heart" by Kabir Helminski. There is a chapter called Love's Universe in the book that really hit me. Helminski has a line where he says, "Love's substitutes are running the world." As I was reading it the lines to the song kept coming to me so I would read a few lines and then write a few lines, then read a few more, then write a few more... It went on like that until I had pages and pages of lyrics.  When I got into the studio Anas and Fred were messing around with some chord changes and as they started to work out the groove I knew right away it was perfect for the piece I had written.  Of course I had to edit down the lyrics or the song would have been like 10 minutes long!  So I carved what I had written into three verses. I love the live instrumentation in this song. I also love how the song borrows from so many musical genres, including hip hop, to create a new, original sound." -Baraka Blue
But what is this "Hidden Treasure" Blue speaks of? 
It's what brought you to life, and your living in it
It's flowing through your veins and your swimming in it,
It's the first drum beat and the griots poem, it's the two turntables & the microphone,
It's the perfectly patient, the absolutely urgent
It's the last call, last supper, last sermon . . .

ABOUT THE ALBUM . . .
Welcome your self to Majnun’s Lost Memoirs, the follow up to Baraka Blue’s debut album Sound Heart.  On his sophomore effort, Baraka Blue reunites with DJ AnasCanon and Fred Nilsson to craft the multi-dimensional soundscape where he lyrically dies in his madness.  Majnun’s Lost Memoirs is the diary of a madman torn from his beloved homeland and forced into exile in an industrialized, mechanical, dystopian, Babylon concrete profanatory.  A collection of musical memories, poetic yearnings, and reflections on maneuvering through the veils of separation, Majnun’s Lost Memoirs have finally been unearthed and presented for your perceptive experience . . . enter the immersive environment.

Music by Anas Canon & Fred Nilsson.  Lyrics by Baraka Blue.  Produced by Anas Canon, "Hidden Treasure" features climactic solos by Fred Nilsson on guitar and special guest Hyman Katz, on flute.
©2011 Remarkable Current.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment