November 28, 2011

Hidden Treasure 'Instrumental' (Anas Canon's Reprise)

Photo by Steven Rimlinger
On working with Hyman Katz
by Anas Canon

"Hyman Katz and I have discussed working together ever since we realized that we are both gigantic fans of  Paul HornSince I was a child I've used Paul Horn's live performances, recorded inside of different ancient buildings, as a sound track for meditation.  I'd never come across someone else who took those Paul Horn recordings as seriously as I did until I met Hyman.

While working on this composition I found the perfect opportunity to finally get a chance to record with Hyman. When he came to the studio, I immediately played him the melody line of the chorus, which I had recorded using my voice. After spending about 10 minutes listening to the melody on repeat, he stood up and proceeded to play the melody line exactly how I had been singing it.  I know that woodwinds are the instruments that closest resemble the dynamics and intonation of the human voice, but never had I heard them sound as close as I did, when I heard the detailed inflections of Hyman's flute mimicking my voice.

Since he seemed to be gelling with the other music so well, I asked him if he was interested in recording a lead solo track.  He agreed, and the result is what inspired this "Reprise."

TO LISTEN CLICK BELOW, TO OWN A COPY OF THE SONG VISIT HERE

Hidden Treasure 'Instrumental' (Anas Canon's Reprise) by Baraka Blue

Jazz Monthly feature interview with Hyman Katz

No comments:

Post a Comment