December 1, 2011

Bridget Barkan:: What's Going On



"While on a phone call with Bridget Barkan discussing a project we're are working on, she shared with me she had just returned from Zuccatti Park (the epicenter of the Occupy Wall Street Movement) and she'd been playing her cover of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?"

It gave me chills as she desribed the reactions from the people who gathered around her, and the exchange that took place between her and those who listened to her sing her heart out.  My first reaction was of jealousy that they got to hear it live and I didn't.  So to quell that feeling I asked her to let me produce an unplugged version in the studio, once she got to LA from NY.  Ecstatically she agreed.

So I called my songwriting partner from The KAJ, Joel Van Dijk and asked him if he'd be willing to help me lay down a bed of music for Bridget to sing her rendition over.   The recording I produced from that session we decided to make available for free so that anyone could absorb the energy of Bridget being an activist and a native New Yorker, expressing the heart felt question that our Uncle Marvin asked, "what's going on?"                                 
                                                                                                             -By Anas Canon
Inspired by the incredible artist Marvin Gaye and the progressive passionate revolutionaries around the world who dare to ask the question and fight for the answer.   -Bridget Barkan
Produced, recorded and mixed by Anas Canon for Remarkable Current.  www.AnasCanon.com All Instruments by Joel Van Dijk.   www.JoelVanDijk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment